Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Saturday, December 09, 2006

Linguine A La Carbonara from Lula Cafe

Item Purchased: Linguine A La Carbonara from Lula Cafe
Location Purchased: Lula Cafe / 2537 N. Kedzie Blvd. / Chicago, IL
Price: $13.00 + tax

Review: People praise the Italians for their pasta and their pizza, but prefer to point out another "p" that the Italians do well... Pancetta. I don't like to think of the prospect of eating any animal's stomach, but pancetta is the exception to the rule. Piggy belly that has been cured, spiced and salted was precisely the primary selling point that made me pick this dish. Everything else in this dish is what made me eat everything on my plate regardless of the fact that I wasn't that hungry to begin with.

In addition to the pancetta, the carbonara sauce used in this dish is also made with Pecorino Romano cheese and pepper so fresh that you can taste a slight spice with each bite. Tender white beans add a welcome texture to the pasta, as well as the price-driving hen of the woods mushrooms included (I even ate some of them despite my aversion to ingesting fungus). Everything tastes as if it were harvested and created in the half hour between the time I place my order and the moment my dinner was delivered. This is just one of the many reasons Lula Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

Lula always offers affordable and unique dishes made from local, seasonal and organic ingredients. You can show up in a pair of ripped jeans (because they are old, not hip) and a t-shirt and your meal will make you feel as if you are dining somewhere that demands a suit and tie. Best of all, Lula's food is fantastic enough to warrant that kind of dress code, yet regular Joes like myself can walk in any time and get a top notch meal.

Rating: 4.25 / 5

Visit the Forum! / Enter the Dec. 2006 Contest!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home