Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Monday, October 09, 2006

Duck Noodle Soup from Joy Yee

Item Purchased: Duck Noodle Soup from Joy Yee
Location Purchased: Joy Yee's Noodles / 1335 S. Halsted St. / Chicago, IL
Price: $6.95 + tax

Review: I like duckies, but I also like duck. There's something about the tenderness of the meat and the flavor that the thick skin adds to the fowl when you cook it. There are, however, two primary ways that Chinese restaurants prepare duck. The first method is to prepare it like most places prepare chicken. Skinned and boned and cut into small chunks, the duck is ready for you to eat. The second option is to defeather the animal, chop it into strips, bones and all, and drop it into any dish with duck in the title. Unfortunately, Joy Yee's duck noodle soup uses the latter method.

I don't mind picking bones and skin from my meat. It reminds me of what it means to eat meat. I do mind picking skin and bone from pieces of meat that are floating in a fishy soup broth. How am I supposed to enjoy the experience that is soup when I have to stop every other spoonfull and pick duck spine out of my teeth? Much like Joy Yee's won ton soup, you receive a container of plain noodles alongside the soup container. With all of the noodles, broth and bok choy, this is a filling dish for a value price, but the duck meat you get is only a fraction of the total dark parts and, like I said, peeling skin and plucking bones makes for an inconvenient workplace lunch. I'm also not very sure that duck is the best flavor match for Joy Yee's miso broth.

Rating: 2 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home