Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ceramic Bowl From Kung Fu Chicken

Item Purchased: Ceramic Bowl From Kung Fu Chicken
Location Purchased: Kung Fu Chicken / Renegade Craft Fair / Wicker Park / Chicago, IL
Price: $25.00 + tax

Review: I wouldn't normally spend twenty five dollars on a bowl. To me, a bowl is a bowl is a bowl. Thrift stores can provide you with twenty five different bowls for this price. The thing is, I have a weakness for buying a piece of functional art directly from the creator. I also have a weakness for handmade items that are imperfect. There is just something warm and personal about a piece of pottery or art or other product that a person spent their effort and time building from idea to completion. There is even something more to it when you get to speak with those people and realize they are good and kind people trying to make a living and communicate through a craft and art that they have an unexplainable passion for. The less steps and people between the idea and the product, the better.

The ceramics from Kung Fu Chicken are endearing for several reasons. First and most apparent is the asymmetrical qualities of the plates, bowls and cups. Each item reminds you of the innocence of a child who picks up a block of clay to create aesthetically rather than to make something that will instantly in high demand. The craftsmanship put into each of these unique pieces may not be instantly apparent, but the attitude that says "I don't need a mold or machine to make something to hold my cereal and/or car keys when I'm not using them. All I need is to get my hands a little dirty and try" shines brighter than the protective layer of dishwasher safe glaze on each one. Many of KFC's items contained amorphous drawings of a cross between an alien and a robot. The sad little creatures on this bowl will be sure to make me smile every time I eat a bowl of cereal or grab my keys while I am heading out the door in the morning.

The attitude of trying was prevalent at the Renegade Craft Fair this year. Though a few self-righteous, exploitative hacks were present, most of the participants contained that childlike love of creation that any good crafter contains. If you missed the show this year, you really missed something special. I, luckily, got to bring a few special items. More importantly, I was able to communicate with the creators on a relaxed level. Seeing this many creative and happy people in one place at one time gives me hope that the world can be rebuilt as a beautiful and useful place.

Rating: 4 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home