Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Wednesday, August 23, 2006

From the No Way To Win This Argument department:

Gawker Media's consumer blog, Consumerist posted today about a homemade commercial on YouTube which criticizes Starbucks' customers for spending too much money on a coffee drink. The angle of this anti-corporatism 101 rant is that the money spent at Starbucks could be used to feed starving children in developing countries.

The Consumerist goes on to rightfully criticize (or "be snarky at" as Gawker Media is famous for) the video for its guilt-trip logic, then praises "internationalism" as a force that ultimately raises developing countries "out of squalor and misery. "

Those who have been reading this site (Consumatron, not "-ist") for a while know that I am not a fan of Starbucks. I have certain opinions about their policies and practices, but for the most part, I just don't like their coffee. It tastes like fireplace ash mixed with Folgers. They sell overroasted and overpriced coffee.

I buy crap every day. I review it here and give it a relative rating. I buy from local, small companies and large corporations that outsource their labor to decrease their costs. I don't regularly feel guilty about supporting companies I don't fully agree with (that would be like only befriending people who share 100% of your opinions), but when I can, I try and support companies who are more socially conscious than others.

I hate to break it to the YouTube girl who demonizes everyday people who are just trying to enjoy a high-calorie froth muck drink, but Starbucks is a lot more socially conscious than several other smaller and cheaper coffee vendors. I also hate to break it to the Consumerist, who thinks that sending business to other countries is an act that raises enjoyment, but outsourcing is done to cut costs and increase profits, not to promote altruism and cultivate karma. There is a great benefit to employing someone in a developing country, but there is also a horrible reality in laying off employees back home who have been hard and loyal workers. In the end, there is simply a stasis. The problem, the way I see it, is that modern business is set up to continually increase profits rather than sustain an acceptable level of profitability.

The Consumerist is spot-on in regards to our right to enjoy ourselves, but when our consumption becomes a contest to see who can acquire the fanciest products and services (or more money) while others can't acquire clean drinking water, then Houston, we have a problem. Economic globalization (let's not avoid what it really is by calling it "internationalism") is inevitable in this interconnected world. The ways we are going about it are probably very wrong and we may look back on this era as an era of global economic slavery, but I firmly believe the first steps to something better are to recognize where our money is going, realize that spending money is not a joy in itself, examine our consumer habits and begin a dialogue with other people about it.

All great works, whether they are a work of art or a cup of coffee won't amount to much if they don't deal with people. In this case, that means the customer of the product and the peripherally involved. Enjoy your life. Enjoy your friends. Enjoy your purchases. Enjoy trying to make things a bit better for others sometimes. Just don't forget to communicate about it all. Hopefully there will be an enjoyment there that transcends consumerism, business and snarkiness.

Forgive me. I'll get off my high horse now. I'm not sure what prompted this outburst (just after I told someone that Consumatron isn't a political site too...). The blog-driven dialogue (blogalogue?) on Consumerist just struck a chord in me. Maybe I'm hoping for some kind of Hegelian dialectic truth after seeing two sides of an argument (both of which, I disagree with), because I sure don't have the answer. I'll get back to reviewing stuff now. Let me just end by paraphrasing The Consumerist's closing thoughts on the post in question:

Thanks, Consumerist and YouTube girl, for the discussion. I think the messages both suck. But thanks!

[ YouTube Starbucks Commercial - Consumerist.com's Response ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home