Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Chow Udon with Chicken from Joy Yee

Item Purchased: Chow Udon with Chicken from Joy Yee
Location Purchased: Joy Yee's Noodles / 1335 S. Halsted St. / Chicago, IL
Price: $8.95 + tax

Review: Man, it's been a while since I had some good udon... or any udon at all that is.

For the uninitiated, udon is a wheat based noodle that originated in Japan. When cooked properly, it takes on a slight doughy consistency and tastes good with almost anything you put on it or it in. Soups, rice, soy, barbecue sauce, tofu, chicken, beef, garlic, salt, pepper, kimchee and even the dreaded mushroom (I hate mushrooms!). You name it, udon makes it better.

Joy Yee's Chow Udon comes lightly stir fried and slathered with soy sauce, onion, scallions, zucchini, egg and mushrooms (I even ate a few). The pieces of chicken in this dish are not only fresh, but large enough that you can tell they are fresh by just looking at them. There were pieces of chicken in here longer than the distance between my wrist and the tip of my middle finger. Masterfully balanced, this dish had a subtle sweetness to it, followed by just enough salty soy flavor to bring out each ingredient's individual taste. Sometimes soy sauce is used as a mask, instead of a flavor enhancer. Not at Joy Yee.

I hate spending nearly ten dollars a day during my worktime lunch break, but I can honestly say that Joy Yee makes the cheap bastard in me shut up and eat every time.

As an added bonus, Joy Yee's carry out containers are strong and sturdy. My roommate and I are amassing quite the collection and saving plenty of money on food storage.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home