Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Monday, August 21, 2006

Chorizo Burrito from Earwax Cafe

Item Purchased: Chorizo Burrito from Earwax Cafe
Location Purchased: Earwax Cafe / 1561 N. Milwaukee Ave. / Chicago, IL
Price: $7.25 + tax

Review: Chorizo. It looks a lot like horse meat with its orange color, is made by grinding up fatty pork, mixed with a Spanish paprika and tastes great in breakfast dishes. In my opinion, the best chorizo is the kind that is cooked until it is dry and left to accent the eggs or other meal elements it is prepared with. Some of the best chorizo is the simplest, such as the way Kristoffer's Cafe adds it to their egg dishes.

Vegetarian chorizo is a bit different and not usually done well at all. My girlfriend once bought a product known as "soyrizo" and the consistency and taste wasn't anything I would rave about. It seemed too watery and loaded with generic spice comparable to Tabasco sauce.

Earwax's vegetarian chorizo is made with seitan, which is quickly becoming my favorite meat substitute (see my review of Earwax's seitan reuben). The seitan chorizo inside this tortilla roll had a more earthy spice to it and was difficult to distinguish from the refried beans along side. Also stuffed with small potato chunks, tomato slices, diced onion and gobs of cheddar cheese, there was enough flavor and texture in this burrito to satisfy even the most dedicated of carnivores. Served with a side of chips and salsa, I couldn't finish my meal and ended up taking half of the burrito with me as I left Earwax to check out some PF Flyers at Akira (an overpriced and too-fancy-for-my-tastes clothing boutique) and do some digging at the best record shop in the midwest (Dusty Groove).

Vegetarian chorizo may not have the zing that I love in the ground pork variety, but the Chorizo Burrito has just been put on the shortlist of standards for me at Earwax Cafe.

Rating: 4.25 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home