Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Whole Wheat Pancakes from Hashbrowns

Item Purchased: Whole Wheat Pancakes from Hashbrowns
Location Purchased: Hashbrowns / 731 W. Maxwell St. / Chicago, IL
Price: $6.25 + tax

Review: A friend who saw my recent review of Hashbrowns' 18th St. Omelette recommended that I try their pancakes. Since I had a bit of time before work this morning, I did just that. Trying to keep on the (relatively) healthy tip, I opted for the whole wheat flapjacks which, oddly enough, are less expensive than the traditional buttermilk kind by a quarter. I was told that you are offered three different syrups with your pancakes, so disappointment began to set in when the waitress (who remembered me... first sign of a great neighborhood diner) only set a typical maple syrup dispenser in front of me. Much to my delight, the ginormous plate of pancakes arrived with two smaller ceramic cups full of homemade vanilla and strawberry sauce.

Again, let me stress how big these pancakes are. Think edible seven-inch records. I successfully made it through two and a half before having to throw in the towel. With a fluffiness and chewy-moist consistency, I could feel my stomach pleading with me to stop even though my tongue urged me to go on. My friend was right though, the sauces are where these pancakes earn their full worth. The first is a creamy white vanilla sauce that reminds me of a mixture between cake frosting and vanilla ice cream (so much for the healthy tip). The second is a rich and thick strawberry sauce which goes easy on the sugar and retains much of the true strawberry taste. I found myself alternately dipping my already maple smothered pancake slices in one cup, then the other until both looked as if they had been licked clean by my godmother's 200 lb. red doberman.

As before, the service at Hashbrowns was great. The waitresses made conversation with me when I wasn't staring into the book I was reading and left me be when I was. Hashbrowns almost makes me completely forget the annoying sports bars and obliterated history of Maxwell St. outside. They make it worth a visit to the historic Chicago street, and I'm thrilled to have an establishment like it just a block away from my place of employment.

Rating: 4.25 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home