Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, July 02, 2006

Scrapple from The Chicago Diner

Item Purchased: Scrapple from The Chicago Diner
Location Purchased: The Chicago Diner / 3411 N. Halsted / Chicago, IL
Price: $8.95 + tax

Review: Vegetarian scrapple has barely any similarities to carnivore scrapple. Scrapple is traditionally a sliced and fried mixture of cornmeal and ground pork. This dish is an amalgam of scrambled eggs, black beans, corn and cheese. Vegans are able to choose tofu instead of eggs and soy cheese instead of cheese that tastes good. I say this because I chose the soy cheese. I usually like vegetarian and vegan foods, but I am a Wisconsin boy and cheese is one thing you cannot replace with gluten and soy protein. It crumbles like styrofoam and tastes sweet and bitter at the same time. Next time, I know not to have this stuff on my eggs. Except for the soy cheese, the Chicago Diner's Veggie Scrapple was great. It comes served with a seitan sausage pattie that reminds me of Irish pudding, a moderately sized portion of chunked potatoes and a few slices of fruit (to get the soy cheese taste out of your mouth, I assume).

Everytime I look at the Chicago Diner's menu, I think that they are overpriced. Then, I order something and realize that this is all in my head.

Rating: 3.75 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home