Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, July 02, 2006

Coffee from The Chicago Diner

Item Purchased: Coffee from The Chicago Diner
Location Purchased: The Chicago Diner / 3411 N. Halsted / Chicago, IL
Price: $2.35 + tax

Review: The Chicago Diner stresses that their coffee is organic and fair trade. I can get down with the organic part. I don't like drinking pesticides in my morning coffee. I'm not so sure about the fair trade part. I've been on the fence about this for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I want people across the world to earn a living wage for their industry, but I don't want fair trade price setting to urge people to produce an unwanted and wasteful abundance of something. I'm no economist, but it seems that if there is a higher price mandated for something, more people are going to want to get into producing that something. Are fair trade prices determined by laws of supply and demand?

The other thing I can't get down with is the Chicago Diner's insistance of brewing dark roasted earthy coffee. Though it tastes good, the burnt bean taste can sometimes be detected . We're not talking overkill like Starbucks, but there is still a tinge of "whoops, I forgot to turn the flame off" in this coffee. It is still enjoyable with six sugar packets and copious amounts of cream, but not worth the price set for me to pay.

Rating: 2.75 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home