Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Monday, July 24, 2006

Basil Chicken Fried Rice from Joy Yee

Item Purchased: Basil Chicken Fried Rice from Joy Yee
Location Purchased: Joy Yee's Noodles / 1335 S. Halsted St. / Chicago, IL
Price: $6.50 + tax

Review: At long last! Joy Yee's University Village location is open!

It's been a long and anticipatory road for my co-worker Frank and myself. So anticipatory that when Joy Yee's finally opened on Friday (my day off), he called me solely to tell me that the Pan Asian paradise had finally opened its doors. Had I not needed to be at my other job, I would have made the trek just to taste the hallucinatory freshness and wok-rock that the employees of Joy Yee are capable of. Holding out a few more days was a challenge that took a Herculean effort, but today's taste was well worth the wait.

The basil chicken fried rice is one of Joy Yee's lunch specials, which means that between the hours of 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM, you can pay the reasonable price of $6.50 for this giant helping of fresh poultry, flora and grains. The plastic container I received for carry-out was nearly a two pound brick packed full of a fine mixture of chicken, rice, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, hot peppers and an alchemic mix of sauces and spices. It was enough food to feed me twice throughout the work day. The flavor was so incredible, that even the mushrooms (which I usually don't touch with a ten-foot chopstick) made my mouth water.

Basil chicken is a spicy dish, but I didn't expect it to be as spicy as it was. The small dried peppers had me running for water, then running back again for another fork-full. To think, Joy Yee's menu has over one hundred different items on it to choose from! Everything from simple vegetarian dinners to buttery octopus and other seafoods are laid out in a fine print so as to fit all of the choices.

Though $6.50 is a bit much for me to be spending on lunch every single day of my work week, I will probably limit myself to this Pan-Asian pleasure a few times a week. Best of all, they are open until 10:30 on weekdays so I will be able to pick up dinner on my way home after a long day at the bookstore!

University Village development is slow and usually less than worth the wait. Joy Yee's is the exception to the rule. I'm still happy I don't have to wait any longer though.

Rating: 4.25 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home