Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Monday, July 03, 2006

18th St. Omelette from Hashbrowns

Item Purchased: 18th St. Omelette from Hashbrowns
Location Purchased: Hashbrowns / 731 W. Maxwell St. / Chicago, IL
Price: $7.95 + tax

Review: I spent a long time waiting to try breakfast in this relatively new breakfast spot on the new and (un)improved Maxwell Street area of Chicago. One reason for waiting so long was the relatively high price they put on a simple order of three eggs and potatoes ($7.95). Though I still think this is a steep price for a simple breakfast, I neglected to realize that most of their specialty omelettes (named after streets and areas of Chicago) are available for the same price. The second reason I avoided Hashbrowns was due to the fact that someone whose opinion I place somewhere between Ebert's opinion of Gigli and the virtues of nuclear war raved about the place. You'd think I'd realize, after almost a year of reviewing every single purchase I make, that other people's opinions are virtually worthless. I suppose this is proof that even the best of us are sometimes affected by pettiness.

The truth is, Hashbrowns is a great little establishment tucked amidst several other too-hip-for-you college bars and restaurants. The decor is modest and the atmosphere is casual, even on a busy day like today. The waitstaff is friendly and attentive and the owner, Ron, is a respectable small business owner trying to make a living by offering good food and good conversation to his customers. Let me be one to say that he nails it.

The 18th St. Omelette is a chorizo omelette made with fresh and greaseless chorizo sausage just the way it should be. Accented with tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, cilantro and a homemade green salsa to add the final punch, this breakfast plate is more than I expected. The portion size is so large that I couldn't finish it, yet I desperately wanted to. I did, however, make sure to finish the signature sweet potato hash browns that come with every egg dish at hashbrowns. Delicious!

Lesson learned. I will definitely be back at Hashbrowns soon. If for nothing else, to try one of the four variations of their hash browns (the Ruler Hashbrowns look phenomenal!).

Don't let the depressing historical eraser of the modern Maxwell street turn you away, Hashbrowns is worth your time and worth your money.

Rating: 4.25 / 5

1 Comments:

Blogger misreall said...

If you are in the mood for pancakes Hashbrowns serves them with three different syrups. The vanilla is fantastically good.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 12:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home