Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, June 18, 2006

Shrimp and Swordfish Combination Hibachi Dinner from Seigo's

Item Purchased: Shrimp and Swordfish Combination Hibachi Dinner from Seigo's
Location Purchased: Seigo's Japanese Steak House / N64 W23180 Main St. / Sussex, WI
Price: $22.50 + tax

Review: Seigo's Japanese Steak House is a restaurant that offers its guests a show as well as a finely cooked hibachi style dinner. You sit around a low bar-style table with a flat top grill in the center. After a round of drinks and salad from your waitress, your own personal chef takes the stage behind the grill and cooks your food in front of you. Our waitress wasn't close to being Japanese and the chef who cooked our meal was Hispanic, but its the steak that is supposed to be Japanese, not the staff. Regardless of anyone's ethnicity, the service and food was great. Our chef created an onion volcano with a burst of flame that shot up to the ceiling for nearly 30 seconds, flipped knives and food competently, and allowed each person sitting at our table to catch a piece of hibachi shrimp in our mouth (I missed twice... what a waste of good food... I blame myself).

The price of each combination meal is reasonable for great food and grill showmanship. My combination dinner consisted of a bowl of chicken broth soup, a small salad, an appetizer of shrimp, a dinner portion of shrimp, a dinner portion of swordfish, mushrooms, bean sprouts, rice and a small dessert which I passed on.

All of Seigo's meats and vegetables are so fresh that I found myself wondering if we were even in Wisconsin anymore. The shrimp tasted as if it were just caught and the swordfish had a consistency of a fresh tuna steak with a bit more toughness and a bit more flavor. This was my first experience with swordfish and I have decided that I like it. This was a great meal for Father's Day and would be great any time, special occasion or not. Unfortunately, I can't afford a $20 meal too often, so I will have my next swordfish where it is prepared out of sight and allow whatever shortcuts seafood cooks take to happen. If you happen to have a Seigo's near you, I highly recommend the experience though. Moreso than other Japanese steak houses such as Benihana's. The food is just as fresh, the show is just as good and the price is much better.

P.S. As a humorous aside, I have a shirt that features a picture of Japanese author, Natsume Soseki. Underneath his profile, there are Japanese symbols that translate roughly as "I am a pervert." When I put this shirt on this morning, I had no idea that my father was going to choose a Japanese steak house as a dinner destination. I was relieved when I found out that our waitress and chef weren't Japanese and probably wouldn't understand the shirt. I was equally horrified when we sat down directly across from a table where a Japanese family was seated. I spent much of the night trying to keep an arm in front of the Japanese characters on my shirt so as not to offend the elderly and children at the table. I am not sure I succeeded, but no one said anything to me. (shrug)

Rating: 4.5 / 5

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate at Seigo's too....had the chicken and scallops combo dinner ---compliments of my son and thought it was excellent....rated 4.5/5

Food and atmosphere were great....

Having a meal with the two men in my life was:PRICELESS

Thanks again for a wonderful evening!!!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home