Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Monday, June 19, 2006

French Roast Ritazza Coffee from Vending Machine (10 oz.)

Item Purchased: French Roast Ritazza Coffee from Vending Machine (10 oz.)
Location Purchased: Milwaukee Amtrak Station / 433 West St. Paul Ave. / Milwaukee, WI
Price: $1.00 w/tax

Review: When I was a child, I read a lot of science fiction and watched a lot of Star Trek. Often I wondered when it would be my turn to adopt a British accent and command a machine, "Earl Grey. Hot." We may not be at that point yet, but advances in technology over the last ten or so years have brought us close. This cup of coffee is proof of such advances. The unassuming brown cube tucked away on the far wall of the Milwaukee Amtrak station where only homeless men (which explains why I was there) and snot-dripping, sugar-buzzing children (which explains why I bought my coffee and went back outside) spend any length of time seemed like a normal coffee vending machine. By "normal coffee vending machine" I am referring to the rust cornered Lost In Space robot rejects that have no more than three buttons (coffee, decaf and hot water) and only take quarters like the ones I got my coffee from in college. Oh no, no, no. This machine had more buttons than my computer's keyboard and more flavors than your local Starbucks. With the production of these machines, we won't ever have to outsource careers in the barista sector (though we may outsource the jobs of people who make these machines). In addition to the flavor selection process, you then have three more steps before getting your coffee dispensed. First, you must choose the strength of your coffee on a scale of one to three (three for me). Next, you must choose how much cream you would like in your coffee (one shot for me). Finally, you must choose how many lumps of sugar you would like in your coffee (three please!).

After this fairly lengthy, but simple process, a cup falls from the innards of the machine, the cream and sugar plops into the cup and piping hot coffee follows filling the cup up to the brim.

The coffee itself is average at best, but a damn sight better than the carbon ash swill I used to get from the coffee machine in the film department at UWM. For machine coffee with an unknown, unseen brewing process, you could do much worse.

Now I am certain all of you reading this are going to plan a train ride to Milwaukee to grab a one buck chuck version of coffee from the far wall of the Milwaukee Amtrak station. Enjoy!

Rating: 2.5 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home