Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Friday, May 05, 2006

Ham & Swiss Omelette from Eleven City Diner

Item Purchased: Ham & Swiss Omelette from Eleven City Diner
Location Purchased: Eleven City Diner / 1112 S. Wabash / Chicago, IL
Price: $8.95 + tax

Review: First the bad news: If you get meat in your omelette at Eleven City Diner, you have to pay a buck extra. Hmm... That's not so terrible, is it? Most other diners I have eaten at charge more than that for meat. Some charge upwards of $2.50. So you must get just a sprinkling of meat then, right? Wrong. The ham was as plentiful as the feta cheese was in the omelette I purchased last week. I suppose there really isn't any bad news. On to the good news!

The good news is that I couldn't finish this omelette because it was so huge. As much as I wanted to... As hungry as I was from sleeping through the entire day yesterday... As small as my eye-to-stomach ratio was... I still couldn't finish this thing. Eleven City Diner has the largest portions I have ever seen in a diner. Every meal you order could serve as two, so bring a friend! If you don't have a friend, bring a cooler to store your leftovers in at work! If you don't have a cooler, then bring an appetite!

The omelette shows no sign of grease or frying detritus, just fluffy eggs, oozing cheese and thinly sliced rectangles of lean ham. Served with a heaping helping of potatoes and toast of your choice (I had an English muffin), the plate(s) you receive beg to be cleared, but pose a challenge to all who try. I am going to miss living a couple of blocks from this place. Of course, if I have to bike further to get here, perhaps I will stay in shape by offsetting the huge portion size with cardiovascular activity.

Rating: 4.25 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home