Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bombay Coconut Curry Chicken Tossers from WOW Cafe and Wingery (6pc.)

Item Purchased: Bombay Coconut Curry Chicken Tossers from WOW Cafe and Wingery (6pc.)
Location Purchased: WOW Cafe & Wingery / 717 West Maxwell St. / Chicago, IL
Price: $8.49 + tax

Review: First the good news. Chicken tenders from WOW Cafe and Wingery are large, plump, juicy and hand battered. You have seventeen homemade sauces to choose from for dipping or tossing (chicken pieces are bathed in the sauce while they are heated). The coconut curry sauce is orgasmic in flavor, consistency and spiciness. Finally, WOW's chicken is fresh, not frozen and all white meat so the chicken tastes like chicken, not the T.V. dinner equivalent.

Now for the bad news. $8.49 for six chicken tenders? Obviously these guys haven't studied the Wendy's business plan. That means that each tender I eat costs me exactly $1.415. I'm sorry, but no chunk of white-meat chicken is worth a buck and change. If I am going to pay that much for a breaded piece of chicken, it better be free range. Hell, it better roam the world's top resorts and, when it comes time for slaughter, it better die by way of a buxom French maid giving it a hand job. When it is battered, it better be delicately massaged in a Chinese palace. Add a few more cultural cliches to its preparation and then it might be worth my $1.415/tender. Nowhere on WOW's menu or website does it indicate that these fresh, not frozen chickens are anything nearing free range. I'm not saying that they are simply cage harvested meat cubes, but the way the poultry industry works, I would be surprised if it were otherwise.

I know, I know, you're telling me I get a side with my tenders, so I am not actually paying a full $1.415 for my chicken.

Fact: You have a choice of seven different sides with your order of tenders or tossers at WOW.

Fact: The only one of these sides that sounds remotely appetizing as a side dish to fried chicken is the French fries.

Fact: The French Fries at WOW taste as if they have been left in a fryer for 6.415 days and only heated for a fraction of that time.

Fact: I should be paid for eating these sorry excuses for potatoes.

To sum up... Though the chicken tenders at WOW taste fantastic and the homemade sauces are something I would love to get a recipe for, the price of their food is aimed toward higher-level business executives who send e-mails through their blackberry during lunch and have a large petty cash box in their bottom desk drawer.

Though I doubt I will ever head into WOW for lunch again, I may return for their $1.00 PBR and Old Style cans.

Rating: 2 / 5

Note: When I use the word "fact" in this review, I actually mean "belly lurchingly strong opinion" in the second, third and fourth instances. (I have to maintain my credibility for those of you who take everything literally.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't like Bleu Cheese and Celery with your wings? Or even Texas toast to sop up some of the sauce? I will never order the fries there now, based on your experience. My gut thanks you.


(what's the deal with their menu saying "all foods are made to order" - should have said "except the fries"!)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o great consumatron, though i strongly agree with your opinions about wow's delicious tenders and their horrible fries, i must strongly disagree with your mendacity about the pricing. really, dear, stop being so cheap! these tenders are worth it, at even twice the price! get with it...buttons are out, velcro is in!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger misreall said...

Actually, they have some kind of lunch special that makes the tenders more affordable. Otherwise they are way overpriced, as you said, and are surprizingly tasty and undisgusting for was is basically fast food.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home