Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal (box of 10 1.51 oz. packets)

Item Purchased: Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal (box of 10 1.51 oz. packets)
Location Purchased: Jewel / 1224 S. Wabash Ave. / Chicago, IL
Price: $3.79 + tax

Review: I have been getting sick of eating Dunkin' Donuts breakfast sandwiches or just a cup of coffee for breakfast on work days, so while I was shopping for ingredients for dinner tonight, I grabbed a box of instant oatmeal.

I remember when this stuff used to be called 'Instant Cereal' which is, in fact, more of an accurate label for these small packets of oats and sugar. Technically, "oatmeal" is nothing more than processed, crushed, cut or rolled oats. Inside of each of these ten packets, the oats are already rolled, so they are already "oatmeal." Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe 'Instant Oatmeal' really is the proper title for this breakfast food. What you can do with this oatmeal, a little water, a cup and wome radiation is what I have grown to love. I grew up on this mushy and sticky sweet food.

I have fond memories of my childhood winters when my father would make apple cinammon or maple syrup flavored oatmeal by boiling hot water on the stove and letting me mix it into the oatmeal he poured into a bowl. I used to love watching it slowly solidify into a quicksand textured mush that I would then suck down faster than a struggling hunter on a jungle safari.

Nowadays, I don't have much time to watch the water and oats mix. I simply pop it in the microwave and come back to an overflowing coffee cup and sticky microwaved mess. (Note to self: buy larger coffee cup for work)

I'm told (by the box) that oatmeal helps remove and reduce cholesterol, but I highly doubt these packets of sugar are ultimately healthy. They are, however, reminiscent of a home-made pancake slathered with maple syrup and left to sit until it is just about to turn to intolerably liqueous sludge. In case you were wondering, that means it tastes good. One thing is for sure, this is one of the healthier convenience foods that I have bought in a while. I'm going to try and make that a pattern if I can.

Rating: 4 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home