Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, March 19, 2006

Side Of Rice & Lentils from Sultan's Market

Item Purchased: Side Of Rice & Lentils from Sultan's Market
Location Purchased: Sultan's Market / 2057 W. North Ave. / Chicago, IL
Price: $2.00 + tax

Review: It surprised me when Josh told me to try this rice instead of the curry rice I was originally going to order. Heaped on top of this grey mixture were several large slices of onion. Josh hates onion, but he assured me that this was the "good stuff." He was right.

Seasoned to perfection, this small, but loaded, side tray of rice was a great accompaniment to my falafel. I'm not a big fan of onions myself, but I found myself eating every last one as I couldn't get over the deliciousness factor injected to this simple dish. The onion added a great all around flavor to the rice and Sultan's Market doesn't skimp on the lentils (why do other places?... they're lentils!). By the end of my five dollar meal, I was so full that I didn't ever want to eat again. However, when my stomach deflated from spare tire to rim, I almost ran back to Sultan's Market for another round.

I am certain I will be back soon. No Middle Eastern restaurant is complete in my mind, until I try their kefta. Even that will only set you back a couple of bucks. It is great to see a quality restaurant that doesn't try and play up its food as exotic to the condo-dwellers in the neighborhood. Sultan's Market offers quality food at a great price, making this the perfect place to work off a hangover or simply save a few bucks on the weekend. They even let you BYOB, so hit one of your favorite discount liquor stores before heading over. And for those of you who do think falafel is an exotic dish, you can comemmorate your visit to Sultan's Market by purchasing one of the restaurant's t-shirts or other gift items. As much as I hate a restaurant that markets itself through souveniers, it is nice to see a small corner store with humble beginnings able to do so. I'd rather be caught wearing a Sultan's Market shirt than a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. one!

Rating: 4.25 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home