Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Virginian Cigarettes from Marshall McGearty Tobacco Artisans (1 pk. 20ct.) w/free Cup of Coffee

Item Purchased: The Virginian Cigarettes from Marshall McGearty Tobacco Artisans (1 pk. 20ct.) w/free Cup of Coffee
Location Purchased: Marshall McGearty Tobacco Artisans / 1553 N. Milwaukee Ave. / Chicago, IL
Price: $8.00 w/tax

Review: Before reviewing the cigarettes at hand, I must take a moment to describe this unique tobacco shop and lounge. Located in the heart of Chicago's Wicker Park Neighborhood, Marshall McGearty is a new kind of lounge/cafe that opened its doors at just the right time. With the passing of Chicago's new smoking ban that prevents private business owners from making up their own minds on whether they should be able to allow customers to smoke in their establishments, this tobacco shop provides smokers and their non-smoking friends a friendly atmosphere that they have all been waiting for. Large, luxurious and immaculately clean, the interior of Marshall McGearty is reminiscent of many movie portrayals of French cafes. Upon entering, one is greeted with a long glass counter filled with fresh tobaccos, colorful pastries, fruits, cheeses and more. Perched on the wall behind the counter is a full bar of fine wines and liquors for those who wish to partake in a cocktail with their smokes. The rest of the spacious lounge is peppered with plenty of comfortable tables, chairs and couches perfect for holding an intimate conversation or getting in some quiet reading time. Near the back of the shop is a soft and communal room that is used for performances and screening movies every Sunday. There is plenty of ventilation and high ceilings which make for a surprisingly clean-aired environment. Dare I say that Marshall McGearty almost makes the harmful pastime of smoking seem completely benign?

As Michaelia and I approached the front counter to gander at the different tobaccos they had to offer, we were greeted by a friendly young woman whose first question for us was, "Are you a smoker?" This took me by surprise. After all, I had just walked into a tobacco shop, had I not? After spending more time inside, this introduction began to make more sense. Though their primary source of income comes from the sale of tobacco, I do not believe that Marshall McGearty wants to give off the impression that they are catering exclusively to smokers. Perhaps I had come in to purchase a unique gift for a smoker friend of mine. Perhaps I simply wanted a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. If so, I was still welcome. Everyone is welcome at Marshall McGearty as long as you are 21 years of age or older. After I informed our tobacco barista that I was, indeed, a smoker, she asked me what kinds of tobacco I usually smoked. With that information, she was able to recommend three distinct tobacco varieties that might interest me. Each one was proffered to me to examine and smell. Each one had a very distinct aroma. My choice of the Virgnian blend had a subtle sweet scent to it, backed with an earthiness that is important to my smoking tastes.

After making my choice, I was offered a free book of wooden matches and given a free cup of coffee (an offer available to anyone who purchases a pack of cigarettes between 2-4 PM daily). I had the option of purchasing a pre-rolled pack of smokes or waiting for my cigarettes to be rolled fresh by an employee near the front of the store. Since I had the time to wait, I chose the fresh option. After Michaelia and I found a table near the wall where we could enjoy our coffee and a lemon tart she bought (fantastic as well!), I approached the counter to observe my cigarettes in the making. The tobacconist worked diligently with gloved hands at the front of the counter spreading fresh tobacco into a small lock box which was then inserted into a loading machine. From beneath the counter, he brought a long narrow magazine loaded with twenty filtered cigarette casings and inserted into the loading machine. Steadying four or five cigarette tubes into the machine at a time, he pulled a few levers and voila! My cigarettes were rolled. He then ran a blade along the edge of my cigarettes to rid them of excess tobacco and placed them delicately into a flip-open box, locking it with a seal containing the Marshall McGearty logo. I have rolled my own cigarettes many times before, but it gave me an almost decadent feeling to watch a professional roll them before me.

The Virginian blend cigarettes I purchased are made from a fine mixture of three separate Virginian tobaccos; Brazillian Leaf, Zimbabwean Leaf and Carolina Leaf. Virginian tobacco has the highest percentage of natural sugars that lends a full-bodied flavor to each cigarette. The smoke pulled is smooth with a slight nutty flavor and more satisfying than any other cigarette I have tried before. In this era where tobacco is simultaneously being chastised and used as a means to generate ridiculous tax money, eight dollars may seem a bit much to pay for a pack of cigarettes, but the way I see it, a pack of American spirits now costs me nearly as much without the freshness. With Marshall McGearty offering a free cup of coffee and wireless access in their cafe between the hours of 2-4PM, I have a feeling I will be buying more handrolling tobacco during the week and making a weekly trip out to Wicker Park to indulge myself in this most decadent of disastrous lung blackener, thus saving me money in the long run.

Whether you are a smoker or simply an enabler of a stubborn addict, Marshall McGearty is a locale you should make it a point to experience for yourself. If not for the smoke, then for the educational value and pleasant lounge atmosphere. Be sure to check their website for weekly specials, events and a growing assortment of tobacco flavors. And since they have cleared all of their licensing to ensure a safe and clean environment to smoke regardless of local legislature, I believe Marshall McGearty will fast become a destination for smokers around this great city.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Image from mmsmokes.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you know that it's owned by RJR, a $15 billion multinational that's bigger than Starbucks. That's bad enough, but deliberately hiding all that behind a "small-time tobacconist" marketing ploy -- that's super evil. (Oh, and the names? They're the ad men who came up with the idea.)
.pc

Thursday, March 02, 2006 11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I do know that. Even if I didn't know that, I would by now since RJR's IP address has shown up on my site traffic report every day since posting the review. I may be stupid for smoking, but I'm not a stupid smoker. I did not know that the names were those of the ad men, however, I didn't assume that they were just two tobacco loving joes from down the block. Thank you for that information.

I smoke. I don't see anything ultimately positive from this habit, but I do enjoy it. If I tried to find a socially responsible company to buy my tobacco from, I fear I would be chasing a tail I don't even have (I am open to suggestions). Even Santa Fe Tobacco company (makers of American Spirit) was acquired by RJR in 2002.

Marshall McGearty doesn't claim to be an independent small-time tobacconist, or at least I never thought of it that way. All of the print ads I have seen have had RJR's info clearly printed on them (usually right at the top of the ad). What they do claim to be is a unique shop with unique tobacco blends. This holds true.

Also, I don't hate Starbucks because they are big. Size isn't the issue, it is what you do with it. To hate a company simply because of its size seems to be very reactionary High School activist logic. In the world of coffee, Starbucks makes bad-tasting beverages and has several questionable policies concerning their buying of coffee beans. In the world of tobacco, I view RJR as the lesser of two very large and vicious evils. Because of practices, not size.

Thank you for commenting. The next time I review something from MM, I will be sure to mention the fact that the store's name comes from the names of the ad men. Please feel free to correct my wrongs in other comments. I yearn for more comments like yours, where I actually learn something.

Friday, March 03, 2006 1:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home