Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, February 12, 2006

Bowl of Sauerkraut Soup

Item Purchased: Bowl of Sauerkraut Soup
Location Purchased: Coffee on Milwaukee / 1046 N. Milwaukee Ave. / Chicago, IL
Price: $3.85 + tax

Review: I have to admit that I wasn't too thrilled when Josh told me that the only soup available at Coffee on Milwaukee today was a sauerkraut soup but my body was determined to have soup so I threw all of my preconceptions to the wind and tried it.

Preconceptions be damned! This was a damn fine soup. With plenty of cabbage strips floating around the slightly sour broth, potato chunks, sausage slices, chicken bits and other meats and spices, this soup resembled a low-viscosity stew. While sausage in soup usually turns me off, the thin slices in this particular soup fit. Most likely because I am used to eating sauerkraut on bratwurst and pickle relish on my hot dogs. This soup was supremely filling and had a unique flavor that I hope to encounter again. Not a bad lunch for under $4.00. Actually, I would love the recipe to this Polish soup because I think it would taste great drizzled over a plate of rice or pan-fried noodles.

See that? Even unassuming cafes can broaden your culinary horizons.

Rating: 4.25 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home