Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Monday, November 21, 2005

Florida's Natural Home Squeezed Orange Juice with pulp (64 fl. oz.)

Item Purchased: Florida's Natural Home Squeezed Orange Juice with pulp (64 fl. oz.)
Location Purchased: Jewel / 1224 S. Wabash Ave. / Chicago, IL
Price: 2 for $4.29 + tax

Review: The carton says that this orange juice is "as close to the grove as you can get." Even though I would like to believe this, I think that it would be entirely possible for me to move down to Florida and get a job picking and squeezing oranges in the actual grove where the oranges used in Florida's Natural come from. And I highly doubt that this juice was actually home squeezed as the name implies. It was most likely squeezed in a factory by a low-paid wage slave.

Do I really need all of this hyperbole while walking through the store late at night? No. What if boxes of condoms said "as close to the womb as you can get!" Would that sway your purchase toward or away?

Obviously orange juice is a bit different. It also doesn't hurt that these large cartons of the stuff were 2-for-1. The best part is, I didn't even need the little grocery club card that you scan for all of those every day discounts. Good thing too... because mine is faded and cracked to oblivion, making it nearly impossible to register my discounts anyway. So rare is it that there is a 2-for-1 offer without a swipe of the card, I had to act on this.

Florida's Natural, despite all of the misleading labeling, does taste more like fresh squeezed than the store brand or the Prairie Farms juice I buy at the 7-Eleven. I've already downed nearly 32 of the 64 ounces of one carton and there is no syrupy aftertaste or acidic hearburn so I will probably be back for more.

I suppose the moral of the story is that Florida's Natural may not live up to all of the advertising hype surrounding the carton, but it's still a pretty good bet for a happy OJ experience.

Rating: 3.75 / 5

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite orange juice is "Simply Orange". It is 100% orange juice-unconcentrated and it kicks Florida's Natural ass. It comes in this cute plastic carafe too.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I've tried Simply Orange before too. I like the shape of the containers as well. And they make good coin banks when empty. Though I have to say I prefer to drink my OJ out of a cardboard carton for some reason. Perhaps it is a kind of nostalgia for my time as a child, sitting alone in the corner of the cafeteria with my small carton of chocolate milk. [sniff]

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 12:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were allowed chocolate milk!?1
Lucky. In my Catholic school us lonely outcasts had to comfort ourselves with unflavored milk and bitter revenge fantasies.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home