Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Sunday, November 20, 2005

Brown Leather USA Belt from Maxwell Street Market

Item Purchased: Brown Leather USA Belt from Maxwell Street Market
Location Purchased: Maxwell Street Market / Chicago, IL
Price: $3.00

Review: This was not the first time I bought a belt from Chicago's hitsoric Maxwell Street Market. Six months ago while my pants were falling down in teh middle of the sultry Chicago summer, I spent the same amount for the same belt. IT seems that, like clockwork, I need a new belt due to wear and tear. Instead of spending half a paycheck for some name-brand silver-studded hipster belt, I choose to go the American (read: cheap) way.

This belt, made from pure leather and tanned to a dark caramel brown, is etched with the image of an eagle twice and the letters "U.S.A." probably wasn't made in the U.S.A. at all. Truth is, it was probably made before I was born. I also have the feeling that the company who paid the sweatshop workers pennies per day to make these belts probably didn't see one red cent for it. Like so many of teh other products at the Maxwell Street Market, these were probably belts that were defective or that "fell" off the back of a truck. Like everything else at Chicago's Maxwell Street Market, you don't ask questions about these things. You take the deals and the chances that come with them and move on.

$6 per year isn't too bad of an investment for a belt if you ask me. Though I am sure that this belt will pull apart at the seams much like my last one did, I am confident that there will be more waiting for me at the nice Chinese man's booth.

Rating: 3.75 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home