Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Thursday, November 17, 2005

Birthday Card for my Grandmother

Item Purchased: Birthday Card for my Grandmother
Location Purchased: Jewel-Osco / 1224 S. Wabash Ave. / Chicago, IL
Price: $3.69 + tax

Review: I have a question. What is it about kittens that make all of my female relatives swoon as if they were cheerleaders watching the star quarterback walk down the hall after history class? If anyone can answer this question, I'll buy you a pizza. I mean, I like cats too.. more than dogs. but I don't lose my breath when I see a baby one. Okay, maybe I'll get a sad-cute face and stagger a bit at the innocence in the face of such a young creature. I may even say "awww" a bit. But I don't let out the long high-pitched sighing sound that is guaranteed to come from the matriarchs in my family.

Regardless as to the immortal answer to the immortal question of cuteness, a kitten is just what is on the front of the birthday card I bought for my grandmother. And you know what? It IS cute.

My grandmother's birthday falls in November just like my Uncle's birthday, but unlike that little incident, I refuse to be a jerk on this one... I allow myself one jerk move a month. That way I don't have to walk on glass all of the time. For now, I must walk on glass until December though.

For such a simple card as this one, with very little text inside, $3.69 seems like a lot to pay for one's personal laziness and another's birthday sentiments. Really, why do we allow these companies like Hallmark to stay in business. Can't we see that they just take little bits of our compassion and caring for each other away from us and turn a special occasion like a birthday into commodity? Really folks, let's try to get back to creating our own cards and gifts. For those you really care about, a store-bought gift and the thought put into it is a sweet thing every once in a while, but wouldn't a gift you made with your own two hands say a whole lot more.

Shame on us for buying into Hallmark holidays and two dimensional sentimentality as our only expression of love!

Rating: 2 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home