Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Thursday, November 24, 2005

Amtrak Hiawatha Train from Chicago to Milwaukee

Item Purchased: Amtrak Hiawatha Train from Chicago to Milwaukee
Location Purchased: Union Station / 225 S. Canal / Chicago, IL
Price: $20.00

Review: I've taken this train ride to and from Milwaukee many times since I moved down to Chicago and did the smart thing by getting rid of my car. I really enjoy riding on trains and cannot think of any major complaints about the ride. There is always plenty of space on the Hiawatha trains. Even this morning, on Thanksgiving of all days, I had no problem getting onto my train and finding a seat near the window. I had to sit next to someone today, but on days where there are no American paid-holiday customs going on, you can usually claim two seats for yourself and spread out with your book or magazine of choice.

My only complaint about the Hiawatha service is that there should be a late night train to make it easy for Chicagoans to spend a day in Milwaukee and vice versa.

Today, the woman I sat next to for the hour long ride, was a friendly sort. Most people on the shorter Amtrak runs don't want to look you in the eye, much less speak with you. This woman, whose name was Cynthia, did nothing but. An ex-hippie in her 50's, Cynthia and I spoke about real estate, higher education, relationship yeahs and woes, polygamy vs. monogamy and the recording industry. She spoke excitedly and loudly to me with very little pause for breath and though I tried my best to match her pace, I fell far behind. I guess the coffee I bought at McDonalds had a calming effect on me, because I was happy to just listen to Cynthia and respond when possible. It made the train ride go by a lot faster and at the end, we wished each other a happy holiday. Besides all that, it was amusing to catch the scornful glances of the elderly woman across the aisle from us who seemed annoyed by either what we were saying or how loudly we were saying it.

Whatever, lady! Thanksgiving is my time to remember to be thankful for the conversations I have in this life with the infinitely interesting people surrounding me. What a great reminder sitting next to Cynthia was!

Rating: 4 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home