Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Thursday, October 20, 2005

Pad Woonsen from Thai Bowl

Item Purchased: Pad Woonsen from Thai Bowl
Location Purchased: Thai Bowl / 1049 W. Taylor St. / Chicago, IL
Price: $6.95 + tax

Review: Pad Woonsen Stir-fried glass noodles with shrimp, crab meat, onion, garlic, sprout & egg.

What's the best nation in the world? "Imi-tation!" Okay, so that's not quite right, but I am convinced that that is what the chef at Thai Bowl thinks when adding crab meat to one of their dishes because that's what I got.

I wasn't expecting much at $6.95. That's why you eat Thai food here in Chicago, because it is everywhere and it is cheap. If you are going to advertise crab meat, though, I expect crab meat! Don't give me some crawdad-flavored fruit roll-up and expect me not to notice! Crab meat doesn't have ridges like potato chips and the red coloring on the substance they call meat looks like a nine-year old attempting his first graffiti tag with a can of v-8. Seriously folks, I would rather have one or two small pieces of real crab meat than the generous spattering of rubber they gave me. I know seafood is expensive. I'm not asking for gourmet. I'm asking for truth in advertising.

To Thai Bowl's credit, the rest of the dish was great. I am a fan of glass noodles, but if you over-cook them, they fall apart and are no good. If you undercook them, the consistency is like that of a brand new bicycle tube. These were just right. All of the vegetables were fresh and crunchy (I even ate all of the onions, which I usually leave for the rats).

Finally, they redeemed themselves a bit on the seafood front with the shrimp. I only got three full shrimp, but unlike the crap-meat, these shrimp were real. Not only were they real, but sizeable too. This surprised me. And though it was a nice gesture, Thai Bowl still loses points for the crab.

There is nothing special about this Thai restaurant. It's like any other Thai place in the city. You don't go to Thai Bowl because the food is special. You go because it is close. So, don't go out of your way to make a trip to Thai Bowl...

...unless you want to buy me lunch, then I will take anything but the Pad Woonsen.

Rating: 2.5 / 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home