Creative Commons License
All content on this website, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Support Bloggers' Rights!
Support Bloggers' Rights!


Friday, October 28, 2005

Oct. 28th - Nothing Purchased Today

I think I might make it a point to buy absolutely nothing one day a week. Any and all of us have so much in this country. Most of us could live with far less. I'm not a religious man, so how about a weekly sabbath of my own to reflect on what I need and what I want?

This country wastes so much of what it consumes. If you don't believe me, check out this photo of a recent device known as the cell phone. Is there any reason there should be this many of any device from the last 20 years discarded already? Though the picture is captivating, the thought of it is disgusting to me. Look:



Click on the image to see the rest of Chris Jordan's frightening images.

Now think about everything you buy in a day. Maybe not cell phones. The little things. The coffee cups and hot dog wrappers. And think about where it all ends up. One day a week to not spend any money whatsoever. Try it. And let me know how it goes for you. For me, it's great. I get some reading done and have the pleasure of making my own coffee or dinner. Slow down a bit, it'll do you some good.

(Link originally found at BoingBoing.net. One of the best sites on the net!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home